- 1.Put your chicken breast on a chopping board and, with your hand flat on top of it, use a sharp knife to slice into one side of the breast, starting at the thicker end and ending at the thin point. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the other side. Open out the breast so that it resembles a butterfly. Cover with cling film and pummel with a rolling pin to create an even thickness.
- 2.In a large bowl, whisk olive oil with the lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into a medium bowl, add the tomatoes and turn to coat. Add the chicken to the large bowl and turn to coat. Let the tomatoes and chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3.Light a grill. Brush the rolls with olive oil and grill over high heat until golden. Add the chicken to the grill, season with salt and pepper and grill over high heat, turning once, until cooked through and lightly charred, about 6 minutes.
- 4.Place the chicken on the rolls and top with the mozzarella, tomato and basil. Spoon any tomato juices on the top half of the bun, close the sandwiches and serve.
- 2 butterfly chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Ciabatta rolls, split
- Six 1/3-inch-thick slices of fresh mozzarella
- 6 large basil leaves (optional)
- Milk (cheese)